Despite the cold and snowy weather, the winter opens up a variety of seasonal wonders and activities. Whether you’re an avid winter sports enthusiast or prefer a warm, cozy winter market, the Massachusetts North Shore has something for everyone. In this guide, discover some of the top things to do on the North Shore this winter season.
Are you ready to hit the slopes? Whether you’re a beginner or an expert skier, consider checking out these ski areas located approximately one hour from North Shore:
- Ski Bradford, located in Bradford, MA, features fifteen trails, glades, and a terrain park – over sixty acres of skiable terrain! They have three Triple Chair lifts and six surface lifts, a complete rental shop, full service snack bar, and ample parking to make your ski trip convenient, affordable and fun. Ski Bradford is open seven days a week with hours varying by day. Hours are extended during school vacation week. Lift tickets start at $22 and gift cards are available.
- Nashoba Valley Ski Area, located in Westford, MA, features chairlifts, magic carpets, and rope tows to seventeen trails. It is open daily Tuesday through Sunday with hours varying daily. There are extended hours during school vacation week. Equipment rentals are available for both children and adults! Lift tickets start at $40 and you can find more information on pricing here. Be sure to check out The Outlook restaurant while you’re there!
- Blue Hills Ski Area in Canton, MA features sixteen trails, four lifts, and a terrain park across sixty acres. Lessons are offered for all ages and levels. Daily passes start at $40. When with a ticketed adult, kids six and under save $5 on any daily lift ticket and kids three and under ski free. Hours vary daily and are extended during school vacation week.
Nearby Snow Tubing and Snow Shoe Trails
Skiing isn’t for everyone, but there are plenty of other opportunities for snowy winter sports. Try snowshoeing around Brooksby Farm in Peabody! Cross-country skis and snowshoes are available to rent at the Snow Haus and maps are available so you can explore the many miles of trails the farm has to offer.
Snow tubing is another winter activity bound to be a great time for all. There are many snow tubing opportunities nearby including:
- The tubing park at Ski Ward Ski Area in Shrewsbury, MA is open from 4pm-8pm Wednesdays through Fridays, 10am-8pm on Saturdays and school holidays, and 10am-4pm on Sundays. With up to twelve lanes, two lifts, and over 200 tubes, participants of all levels are guaranteed to have a great time! Participants must be at least six years old or 42” tall to participate. Tickets start at $20 and can be purchased online or in person.
- In addition to a ski area, Nashoba Valley also has a Tubing Park located in Littleton, MA open Wednesday through Sunday. The tubing park features up to eighteen lanes serviced by two lifts, an on-site lodge with a snack bar, and a full bar with limited indoor seating or outdoor seating at one of their many picnic tables. Hours and the latest snow tubing report can be viewed here. Anyone looking to snow tube must be 6+ years of age or 42″ tall. Tickets are $45 for 2 hours and must be purchased online in advance.
- The Bonneville Family Snow Tubing Thrill Hill at McIntyre Ski Area in Manchester, NH is open Thursday through Sunday. Sessions are two hours long and cost $35 per person. All participants must be five years old and 44″ tall to tube.
Ice skating is another classic winter favorite available on the North Shore! Check out The Marketstreet Rink in Lynnfield, open daily with extended hours during February break. Admission is $12 and participants under three years old skate free. Skate rentals are available for $5. The Ice Rink at Topsfield Town Common is also open daily from 8am-8pm for the season! It is free, available to the public, and open to all ages. The main purpose of this rink is figure skating, but there are designated ‘Puck & Stick’ hours where hockey pucks and sticks are allowed. More information on these hours and rink rules can be found here.
Another option nearby is the Boston Common Frog Pond. They are open daily with varying hours throughout the Winter season. Admission is $10 for skaters 58” and over and under 58” skates free. Skate rentals are $10 for kids and $15 for adults.
There are also plenty of things to do on the North Shore this winter if you don’t enjoy winter sports. Winter markets are one of the best parts of the season. Their unique vendors are a great way to find delicious food, the perfect gift for a loved one, or the next addition to your home’s decor. Check out some of the local markets below:
A community market featuring food, art, and fun on Sundays from November 19, 2023 through Winter 2024 Noon-4pm at Barewolf Brewing.
Stock up on fresh, local veggies and other delicious delights this season at the farmers’ market in Lynn! The Winter Market happens on the 1st and 3rd Saturday of every month (December – June), from 11am-3pm at 20 Exchange St.
This event will feature a series of ice sculptures created by world-class artists. As you explore the displays, you’ll have the chance to warm up with hot cocoa from vendors, explore unique shopping opportunities, and participate in winter-themed activities for all ages. It will take place at Waterfront Square on February 3rd from 11am-8pm.
Special events are a great way to change up your winter agenda. Add these local North Shore events to your list:
- Amesbury Winterfest – Amesbury – February 7-11, 2024
- Valentine’s Cooking Class at Appleton Farms – Ipswich – February 16, 2024
- Salem’s So Sweet Chocolate and Ice Sculpture Festival – Salem – February 9-11, 2024
- Merrimack River Eagle Festival – Newburyport, Amesbury, and Salisbury – February 17, 2024
If these wonderful winter activities inspire you to make the North Shore your permanent home, it is important to work with knowledgeable local experts. With over 20 years of experience as a local North Shore realtor, I would be honored to guide you through finding the perfect home on the North Shore. Contact me today to extend your North Shore winter adventure into a lifelong journey.